Sunday, July 28, 2013

(What I think is) important gear in a survival situation

(What I think is) important gear in a survival situation

This post is inspired by a show my wife and I watched on Discovery Channel called Naked and Afraid. The premise of the show is that they drop off a woman and a man in a horrible environment with only one survival item and make them strip naked. Then they kick them out into the wilderness and say "See you in three weeks!" Well supposedly they do...but I digress.

The thing that caught my attention, as well as most of the people watching the show on one particular episode was one man's choice of survival item. Since they were going to be on an island in the middle of the ocean, he choose to bring...wait for it...goggles. Then to make matters worse, he was too scared to go swimming in the ocean for fear of sharks!

All laughs aside, it got me thinking. If I could only bring one item with me to survive in the wilderness, what would I bring?

Most people bring a knife, machete, pot/pan, or something along those lines.

I got to looking on Amazon, and I think I found the perfect match. Now, granted people might think it is cheating because it is TWO items, but technically since both items fit in the sheath, I'm counting it as one!


Having any kind of knife in a survival situation is absolutely quintessential, but watching some of these "survival experts" try to start a fire it is clear to me that fire starters are just as important.

If you don't have fire you can't sanitize water, cook food, keep bugs or predators away, or keep the morale up.

I'm sure there are 101 better items out there, but the theory is still the same. Let me know in the comments if you have a better idea for a single survival item, or even a better knife/fire starter combo. I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say!

Until next time,

Chris Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment